Monday, April 18, 2022

Day 18. Just this: bliss

I

Morning light glazes the window,

honeying the floor molten gold.

Steam, coffee-laced, hazes still air    

Licking the air like an eager tongue 

Sweet anticipation

II

A slip of sun, a splash of water, 

a mere puddle of a pond,

I splash my toe into the aching chill

and send an explosion of sparkling droplets skyward 

slow sweet light pours over me

Delighted participation

III

Lazy, dazed, eyes glazed

I count the raindrops, 

those desultory, aimless drips dimming window panes

I yawn, I stretch, sigh, want to cry

My phone lights up 

My anam cara - my soul friend - phones.

Somehow, she always knows

Connection  

IV

It’s the first time I see him like this,

Unfurling like a flower

As he stands on stage,

shoulder to shoulder, elbow to skinny elbow

in the midst of the teeming kindergarten throng. 

for one brief breath, 

I see the blossom he will become.

Love 

We sprawl, sated, relaxed amid the 

crumbs and clutter of discarded dishes.

Turkey and rosemary scent the air,

the clutter of candles, coats, dog chewies

cozy this family scene

And everything - 

the starlit windows, smiling faces, strewn shoes

Seems to dance in the sound of shared laughter .

Fulfillment 


Prompt: Write your own poem that provides five answers to the same question – without ever specifically identifying the question that is being answered.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30. Praise - Cento

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting  To feel that waking is another sleep   Blind go the days, but joy will see Wh...